Improving iOS brave

I absolutely love using Brave — it’s fast, private, and packed with thoughtful features. That said, there are a few key features available on the Android version that are still missing on iOS, along with some other quality-of-life improvements that could really make the iPhone experience feel more complete.

1. Bookmark Functionality (iPhone vs Android)

On iPhone, adding a bookmark takes way too many steps. You have to tap the three dots, then choose “Add to Bookmarks,” then a new window pops up where you still have to press “Save.” If you want to organize it into a specific folder, that adds even more steps — you have to tap the three dots again, choose “Add to Bookmarks,” then “Location,” then find the right folder, and finally press “Save.”

For people like me who work heavily with bookmarks and research across clear topics, this process becomes frustrating and time-consuming.

On Android, this is already solved perfectly — there’s a simple one-tap “Add to Bookmark” button that automatically saves the current page to a default or previously chosen bookmark folder. It’s quick, efficient, and makes organizing content so much smoother.

If you do consider my suggestion, it would be fantastic to add this one-tap bookmark button in the shortcut button section beside the search bar — you know, the section that already includes shortcuts for Bookmarks, History, Downloads, Playlists, Wallet, and News. I understand that customizing the toolbar isn’t currently allowed, so adding a dedicated button there would be an easy and visible way to streamline bookmarking for iPhone users.

I’m not asking for a completely new feature — just parity with what already exists on Android. It would make a huge difference for iPhone users who rely on bookmarks daily.

2. Mute Tabs (System-Wide or Per Tab Option)

I’ve seen a lot of users online asking for this feature, and I completely agree — Brave on iPhone really needs a proper “Mute Tab” option. I’m not sure if this limitation comes from Apple’s side, but even Safari doesn’t make it easy — I actually have to use a script there to automatically block tab audio.

I’m not suggesting Brave allow scripts (though that would be amazing); I’m simply asking for something that already exists on Android: the ability to mute tabs.

It would be great to see this implemented in one of two ways:

  • A simple mute/unmute option for each tab, or

  • A toggle in settings that automatically mutes all tabs by default, so any tab that opens with audio is already muted.

3. Swipe to Close Tabs

Another small but really useful feature that’s available on Android is the ability to close tabs by swiping backward from the left side of the screen. On iPhone, this gesture doesn’t work — you have to manually tap the tab view, then press the small “X” on each tab or click “X” on the tab bar, which slows things down when managing multiple pages.

I don’t know if I’m allowed to mention other browsers here, but Orion Browser on iPhone already includes this feature, so it’s definitely possible to implement on iOS.

4. Universal Video Downloader

Just a small suggestion — I know many users have requested this over the years, and other browsers already include similar functionality. If possible, it would be great to see a built-in video downloader added to Brave. It doesn’t have to be complex — just a simple, reliable way to download videos directly from websites. This would be a very welcome addition.

I just want to finish by saying that Brave has quickly become my default browser, and for good reason. You’ve built something truly amazing — the ad blocking is fantastic, the interface is clean and intuitive, and the overall browsing experience feels faster and more private than anything else out there.

I really appreciate all the work your team has already done to make Brave what it is today. That said, I’m really hoping you’ll consider adding these few missing features to the iPhone version. They’re already on Android, and they’d make such a big difference in day-to-day use for iOS users like me.

Please, please, please — if there’s any way to bring these over, it would mean a lot. I genuinely love this browser and just want to see it reach its full potential on every platform.

No you don’t. Just press and hold down on the tab button.

Then Save if it’s correct on location, otherwise tap to change folder.

No you don’t. Just swipe them aside. When in tab view, swipe them toward your left and it will close them.

Also pressing and holding on the tab button as I mentioned earlier lets you choose to close all tabs, close all other tabs, etc.

@Okitschris have you even used Brave on iOS? I keep seeing inaccurate information. And I’m also noticing you wrote this entirely with AI. This part you’re asking about is https://brave.com/playlist/ which has existed for years. This has been on iOS but not Android, so you’re reversing the claim here.

@Okitschris

Join Github:

Submit a ticket:

I know it’s not my place to be moderator, as I’m not one, but I really don’t appreciate that as someone who also volunteers my time, a user can think they can talk to someone like that. I might get hot headed but I don’t ever attack an individual. You did. That’s simply not the right way to handle it. (I looked you up, I know where you are heading with this line, see below.)

Just think about that, ok?

Also, I see you are harassing other browser developers as well:

Feel free to explore this users post history in other communities. This behavior is a pattern.


(PS: *their. :wink: )

I also noticed, over there as well, you were complaining about bookmarks and video downloaders. The same thing you’re pulling here. Is this actually an AI written initial post? The spelling and grammar is entirely different between when you reply vs your original post.

For example: Your initial posts have excellent formatting and grammar. You use punctuation mostly properly, and you always close with a period. However, when you respond to people, you don’t close with a period, you sometimes begin with a lower case, it seems far lower effort overall, as if whoever wrote the initial post, is NOT the same person writing the replies.

That does back up this claim made by the volunteer trying to assist you:

I’m also noticing you wrote this entirely with AI.

Because it really does seem like there’s two different writers here, one writing the post, and someone angry responding every time, and like I found, you aren’t doing this just here, in fact you’re doing it elsewhere.

As for proof of using AI to write your post:

No one has an Em Dash on their keyboard, and I doubt you are going through the trouble to intentionally use it. (Yes, I’m aware on Discourse, what this community uses, typing in 3 hyphens will create—an Em Dash like so, but no one actually types or writes like this that is Human. It’s an LLM trait.)

Even on the post here:

No one likes having to work to a report written by AI and not the user themselves. AI is nonfactual (only what it believes are facts, and AI can be very confident it’s correct when it’s 100% wrong) and nothing but a token predictor, it is not intelligent. It cannot write your tickets for you.