Google has finally gone too far, now it will sometimes show results outside of quotes even if you searched in quotes, and that has convinced me to jump ship. I’ve been told Brave is a good search engine, and while that’s clearly not true because they will ignore search parameters too at least they’ll tell you they’re doing it and apparently that’s how low standards have fallen for search engines.
More importantly, I was told Brave was good because you could apply filters to your search, use “Goggles” to ensure you never saw sites like Pinterest or Fandom and could push relevant sites to the top of your list. But I just tried to subscribe to a bunch of Goggles and they just straight up don’t work. I click the “Goggles” tab and then I still see results from Fandom pages. I can sorta…test? one Goggle at a time, by manually turning it on on a single page, but I can’t enable multiple filters or have it trigger automatically when I search. How do I use these?
Also search perimeters do work, similar to other engines. For example – on the left I have not applied any operators, on the right, I have added the NOT operator to exclude pinterest.com:
You didn’t understand what I was asking for. The help center page doesn’t tell you how to enable Goggles by default, it just shows you how to do that weird test thing with one Goggle at a time. And search perimiters only work when there’s a sufficient number of results, but they can just arbitrarily decide to turn them off whenever they want. Which, if there were any search engines that didn’t do that, would be an instant disqualification of any search engine regardless of any other features they might have.
I went through much the same, attempting to maintain Big-G. Switching to Brave Search as my go-to was fairly smooth once Brave Search had enough search activity to individualize results tailored for me. As I recall, the results began to improve within a week or so. After that short period of learning, search results continued to improve day by day. It’s almost like Big-G is aware I have jumped ship, and many things that used to work (sort of) have degraded to a point where Big-G is nearly unusable. It appears BG may be as resentful as Xfinity when I cut the cord. I’m amazed these large corporations behavior often resembles an angry three-year-old’s that’s denied purchasing a new toy. Seriously, what a bunch of big babies. But for Google to whine daily about cash shortages is ridiculous. What’s next? Google, Apple, and Microsoft will be too big to fail and have their hands out requesting to be bailed out by taxpayers? Not much will surprise me. I do think we need an uprising. I hope it can happen with no violence. But if that’s required to regain Big Brother’s respect, so be it!
Just another grumpy old man rant. : “Rollin with the Crips”