Back gesture closes new tab and returns to spawning/parent tab

I often use Safari for browsing old.reddit.com on iOS. I have the Reddit preference to open links in new tabs enabled. Any time I click a link from Reddit it opens in a new focused tab. When I use the back gesture on this new tab it will close and return me to the spawning tab. This spawned/parent tab is remembered for each tab even if I switch to another tab or leave the browser temporarily. This makes it really nice to browse Reddit and view links without having to lose my place or reload the original Reddit page as the links and order will be different each time.

Desired Behavior:

  1. Click a link on a page which opens in a new tab.
  2. Finish reading the new tab and swipe from left side to go back to previous page.
  3. The new tab closes and I am taken back to the page that originally spawned the new tab.

Current Behavior:
1 and 2 as above.
3. Back gesture is not recognized.

Currently this is supported in Safari for iOS (and has been for at least a few years) but I have not seen it supported in any other browsers. This is currently the one single feature preventing me from switching to Brave as my primary browser on iOS.

This appears to be the same request but with fewer details.

This is a problem on many sites that spawn new tabs. For example Google News, when one clicks an article link it opens in a new tab (to the respected news site). The only way to go back to Google News is to go into the open tabs dialog and select Google News tab. You might also close the news site tab while you are there… many clicks! It would be much preferred to have the “Back” gesture availble on the spawned news site page to close the news site and go back to Google News. I know that both Safari and DuckDuckGo browser do this in IOS. I use those browsers for this very reason.

similar request here: Niche Feature: New Tab History Inheritance