Android Brave browser app cannot use the camera

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.


Description of the issue: If a website needs to use the camera, the camera doesn’t work. The window where you’re supposed to be able to see through the camera just shows the webpage behind it and you can’t scan QR codes or anything. I do video calls with my doctor on a website, and when doing them on my phone with Brave, I cannot see myself or my doctor. I have double checked that Brave has permission to use the camera in my phone settings and that the websites in question have permission to use the camera in Brave’s settings.

How can this issue be reproduced?

  1. Give Brave permission to use the camera

  2. Go to any website that needs camera access

  3. When prompted to give the website permission to use the camera, allow it.

  4. When you try to use the camera with the website, it just doesn’t work.

Expected result: The camera window shows up properly, you can see through the camera, scan things, do video calls, etc.

Brave Version( check About Brave): Brave 1.85.117, Chromium 143.0.7499.146

Mobile Device details OnePlus 13, Android 16; Build/BP2A.250605.015

Additional Information: N/A

I just tested this on a OnePlus N200 5G (on LineageOS 23/Android 16), and the camera worked fine.

However, with that said, another site setting to check is Autoplay. If this is set to block autoplaying videos, ironically it WILL stop your camera from working as well:

So I’d check that setting to be sure real quick. (Despite it saying it applies to muted videos, it stops YouTube from autoplaying which isn’t muted videos, so that setting can outright just pause anything that’s a video stream, which camera is.)

The website I tested with was webcamtests.com.