Videos cannot be played on a movie site

A popular Spanish-language website for watching movies is not playing the video. The site works fine in Chrome/Edge using uBlock.

Description of the issue: when I press play, the player says “The IP address of the tiktokshopping.xyz server could not be found.” I use a random movie to report the issue as an example, in this case, Toy Story 5.

Main URL of the website: https://cuevana.you

Exact URL of the website in question: https://cuevana.you/pelicula/toy-story-5

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? Yes, in both Standard and Aggressive modes.

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off? Disabling the shields opens a new tab blocked by Brave, but it doesn’t open the player because it blocks redirection.

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome? The site works correctly using Chrome/Edge with uBlock.

Operating System: Windows 10

Brave version: 1.91.180

Using Brave Browser v1.91.180 (Windows OS 10 Pro)

  • New Window (not New Private Window)

Using Firefox (latest for Windows OS)

  • New Window (not New Private Window)

Visited: ‘https://cuevana.you/pelicula/toy-story-5’
Visited: ‘https://cuevana.you/’

I chose to (try and) view Dragon (something or other, and) SuperGirl (?)

Brave Site-Specific Shields:

I kept clicking on the big white play button, but no response:

By chance, I double-clicked on the big white play button, et viola, that got a response.

I did that, first, using Firefox … and while that was playing, I tried Brave Browser, and that finally began to play.

It’s pretty weird. I tried configuring the Shields like in your image (“Block trackers & ads” is the Standard mode) and got the same error.

I’ve also tried other movies, like Supergirl, both in normal and private windows and this is what I get after the little skippable ad:

By disabling shields, Brave simply opens a blocked window when click play button, as I mentioned earlier.

UPDATE: I was using Quad9’s encrypted secure DNS servers in my Brave settings (https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query), I switched to Cloudflare and now the site works.

It didn’t have any problems in Chrome/Edge because those browsers have Cloudflare as their global system setting.

I configured Chrome and Edge with Quad9’s DNS server and I’m getting the same error on the movie site. It’s a Quad9 issue.

Well, is not a Brave problem then, although I think it wouldn’t hurt for someone to know.

Thank you for your reply
Best regards

@Apartment1337

Good work.

Sometimes useful: A simple test to compare DNS results of a visit to ‘https://test.nextdns.io/’ for each browser that you have.

Browsers that are working for a website

vs

Browsers that are not working for a website.