Is this an OK Way to See Browser History?

The only questions I have about accessing Browser history is whether it is reasonable and what mistakes can I making?

FWIW-I Use Free Program: DB Browser for SQLite to See History Records

On my machine, the History table cannot be opened or its data viewed while Brave Browser is running. To get around that, I copy the history file used by Brave to a folder in my home directory. That extra copy of the history file will open while the browser is running.

@carla_rogers

Yes - you can search the History file as you have demonstrated - while not running the browser and probably after a restart of the computer.


I suggest that you ask ChatGPT for help. To create a script that you can run.

The script will:

  1. Copy the webpage title
  2. Copy the URL address of the webpage
  3. Copy the text of the webpage (when the webpage is still ← ie loaded and stable)

On your Desktop, YOU create a folder named Brave_History. The script places each history file - these are text files - into that folder.

The history file is named: “yyyymmdd_[webpage title - character string limited to 120 characters]” - so the history files appear in chronological order. Key: yyyymmdd_ ← yyyy = year, mm = month, dd = day followed by 1 underscore character. (I believe that every space should be replaced by the underscore character ← keeping the entire history file name as 1 object, in effect.)

For each webpage that you want to remember - via such a webpage history synopsis record - you run the script when the webpage seem stable.

A major benefit: You get to review histories without depending upon Operating System and browser. You can copy the Brave_History folder between computers and mobile devices.

To wit: Don’t make yourself dependent on a database or a particular application’s interface … when a simple, portable text representation can give you direct access to the information you care about.

Lest you doubt this suggestion - re engaging ChatGPT for assistance:

Jean Pichore → Joan of Arc on Horseback → c. 1505

ChatGPT:

And thank you for sticking with the investigation when I [ChatGPT] initially went off in several wrong directions. Your insistence on the little visual details is what got us … to Jean Pichore’s Joan of Arc.

That was a genuinely good example of the process you were talking about:

observe → question → test → correct → pursue another clue → learn → discover.