I was installing Brave on Fedora Silverblue 41 using the official guide, but nothing happened, Brave is missing in the app library, and seemingly uninstalled.
How can this issue be reproduced?
- Install and update Silverblue, restart computer (to apply updates)
- Follow Brave’s official installation guide for Silverblue, to be more exact:
run0 curl -fsSLo /etc/yum.repos.d/brave-browser.repo https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser.repo and then run0 rpm-ostree install brave-browser
- Restart the system again
- Nothing happens,
rpm-ostree status also doesn’t show any overlayed packages (I assume Brave should be there)
Expected result: Brave is installed
additional info: for some reason, the commands from the official guide gave no output at all.
also, when running rpm-ostree upgrade , I can see a repo in the middle of other repos:
rpm-md repo 'brave-browser' (cached); generated: 2025-01-29T17:3854Z solvables: 331
I hope nothing went wrong while running the commands.
more info: I noticed that both commands, when I run them, make a dark red line appear in the terminal for a second, before finishing and giving me a prompt for another command. I guess this could be an indication of some error?
they also do both ask me for root password, so I guess that works at least…
running rpm-ostree install brave-browser without run0 worked well.
I’ve been told by one of Silverblue’s main devs that rpm-ostree now runs without elevated privileges like sudo, so run0 might be unnecessary, but I’m not completely sure, especially since one user tried to replicate this bug in a Silverblue vm and they said that the original instructions (with run0) worked well for them.
also, the curl command still needs run0 though.
I wonder if all of this is correct (I suppose there’s a reason why Brave devs added run0 to the command, and I hope I’m not ruining anything by removing it)
Installation process might not have worked due to the way Fedora Silverblue handles package management with rpm-ostree. Try these steps to resolve the issue:
- Ensure proper repository is added: Double-check the repository URL and ensure there were no errors in the
curl command.
- Reinstall with
rpm-ostree: Try reinstalling Brave with rpm-ostree install brave-browser again.
- Check rpm-ostree status: After installation, use
rpm-ostree status to see if the Brave package is listed as an overlay.
- Clear cache and try again: If it still doesn’t show, run
rpm-ostree upgrade and then try reinstalling Brave.
yeah, I already tried running rpm-ostree without run0 and it worked. Brave is present in rpm-ostree status too. The curl command still needs run0 though. Still, thanks for your help.