Type of device Laptop windows 11
Brave version: brave 1.82.161
Detailed** description of the behavior: everytime i try to turn on brave vpn my whole brave crashes and i really dont understand why ive deleted and reinstalled and that hasnt helped**
it would be nice if someone helped ![]()
I’m currently having the same issue. Unsure of a fix but hoping someone gives one soon
I am also having the same issue. It will work when I turn the VPN to “automatic”, but any attempt to use any other country crashes the browser.
@riane @shinobidumpster, thanks for reporting, and apologies for the inconvenience. This is a known issue with a fix on the way https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/49003.
As a temporary fix, disabling Wiireguard in brave://settings/system should resolve the Crash.
Expecting the permanant fix to be released this week.
Hi all, thanks for your patience here. The fix for this crash was released this morning. Updating to 1.82.165 will resolve this crash.
Thank you again for your patience!
I just downloaded the vpn for brave and it’s crashing every time I toggle it on.
Is there another update? And does this count towards my 7-day free trial if the function is buggy?
Hi @cheeseitz this specific crash from two weeks ago was resolved.
What Brave version are you on? Did this just begin?
That’s nice that it was resolved for some people. I just started the Brave VPN today.
I am working on version 1.82.170. Yes, it just began. I just got the VPN for brave today.
Do you need any more information from me?
Do you have any recent crash logs available at brave://crashes
If so, can you provide the IDs?
@cheeseitz can you share the Crash Report ID ending in 0’s? Thank you.
Yes! After I uploaded them/sent the reports, I received the IDs (for future reference for anyone who needs that unhelpful information).
Crash from Thursday, September 18, 2025 at 11:55:01 AM
Status:UploadedUploaded Crash Report ID:cdd90d00-bb02-810e-0000-000000000000Upload Time:Tuesday, September 23, 2025 at 1:12:11 PM
Crash from Tuesday, September 16, 2025 at 8:44:52 PM
Status:UploadedUploaded Crash Report ID:cbd90d00-bb02-810e-0000-000000000000Upload Time:Tuesday, September 23, 2025 at 1:12:10 PM
Crash from Monday, July 14, 2025 at 7:27:07 PM
Status:UploadedUploaded Crash Report ID:c7d90d00-bb02-810e-0000-000000000000Upload Time:Tuesday, September 23, 2025 at 1:12:09 PM
@cheeseitz can you share the Crash ID’s from today? The IDs pasted are from last Thursday and July 14.
Thank you!
Yeah, I know. There are none from today. The browser closes when I toggle on the VPN. If that doesn’t mean it “crashed” technically then I don’t know what to call it besides "the browser closes when I toggle on the VPN for Brave and the browser does not boot back up. I have to manually click on it. There is no message. It just closes. I do not know why.
Thank you!
@cheeseitz does it happen when you enable for any specific server? Any other steps to reproduce that you’re able to provide?
Thanks in advance.
I cannot change the server. If I try, the browser closes.
Step 1: I click on the Brave VPN icon to the right.
Step 2: I toggle on the VPN from ‘Disconnected’ to ‘Connected’
Step 3. The browser closes immediately when I toggle the VPN on
Step 4. I reopen the browser and click the brave VPN icon; it still says disconnected.
Is there no fix at this moment for this? Should I wait for an update?