Brave on iPad Showing Ads

Is it just me or does Brave on iPad really show ads on some websites? Some websites are fine, but on others I get ads and redirects when I click something like the play button or when I try to search with that website. What’s weird is that the same websites don’t show ads when I use Brave on my two phones. One of my phones is also iOS. Is there a reason why it’s different on my iPad? I already tried everything I could to block the ads, but they still keep showing up.

What sites are you seeing ads on your iPad? If you provide them we can take a look. Thanks!

There are several sites, but for example, Flixly Site has pop-up ads that redirect me to other sites or apps. KissKH doesn’t have those pop-ups, but its full-screen button is greyed out and unavailable on Brave for iPad.

Hi strawbibiri,

One thing worth checking: per-site Shields settings (the ad/tracker blocking level for a specific site) aren’t included in what Brave Sync syncs between devices — Brave’s own sync docs list Bookmarks, Passwords, Autofill, History, Open Tabs, Extensions, Themes, and Apps, but not Shields settings, and iOS sync is even more limited (bookmarks only, per Brave’s support page). So it’s possible Shields ended up configured differently on your iPad vs. your phones for these specific sites, without you having done anything wrong.

Worth checking on the iPad, for Flixly and KissKH specifically: open the Shields panel for each site and confirm “Trackers & ads blocking” is set to Standard (or try Aggressive if Standard isn’t enough).

If Shields is already set the same way on all your devices and the ads still only show on iPad, that points to an actual Shields bug on those sites rather than a settings/sync difference — worth sharing that detail with Evan123 since they already offered to look into it.

I just found out today that I’m also getting pop-up ads on my iPhone. I thought it didn’t have the same issue as my iPad, but it turns out both devices have the same problem. I’ve had Tracking & Ads Blocking set to Aggressive on both iOS devices for a long time, but the ads are still showing.

strawbibiri, that’s a really important data point — thanks for testing on both devices.

To connect this to what was said earlier: the condition needed to distinguish “settings/sync difference” from “actual Shields bug” was exactly this — same Shields configuration (Aggressive, Tracking & Ads Blocking) on multiple devices, ads still showing on all of them. You’ve now confirmed that condition on iPhone AND iPad simultaneously, over an extended period (Aggressive “for a long time”).

Given that, it would be worth tagging @Evan123 directly with this specific update, since they already offered to look into it — this is the concrete evidence needed to escalate it as a real Shields bug on these particular ad sources, not a per-device configuration issue.